Thursday, June 5, 2008

Feeling Inadequate?

Okay, I am feeling right now that my blog is grossly inadequate in comparison to the standards of the blog world. Why? Let me explain. I may even use dot points. Or not.

Firstly. I have being reading other people's blogs. Though mine is (usually) written in coherent English, it does not seem nearly so awe-inspiring as others which I have read. I have friends with blogs who are a good example. Their blogs are pretty amazing: precise, succinct, and brilliantly articulated! Then, we look at my second entry, written at some unearthly time of day and published at a saner hour to make it look like the internet is not my life. (Which it isn't.) All those inadequate feelings come rushing in. It's not just in blogging where these feelings can come from. Whether I am painting, drawing, singing, speaking to someone, baking a cake, reading out loud, changing a light bulb, lifting a box or cutting foam for TAFE, I get that inadequate feeling. It happens particularly when there are people around with which to compare myself with, or when there are people around who will compare me to others. And it leaves me wishing I could do better. So I try. From that observation I cultivated this thought: feelings of inadequacy are human nature. Through this feeling, one of two things can occur. Make that three.

ONE
: We can sit on our backsides, wallowing in self-pity.

TWO
: We can accept our limits and work with them.

THREE
: We can work harder, develop our skills and abilities, and reach our full potential.

I, personally, am a fan of number three. So I will work on my writing skills! I will develop my blogging abilities! Then, my blog will reach its full potential. And I will be pleased.

I suppose feeling inadequate is not really such a bad thing, if it prompts you to aim higher and become better. Though inadequacy is a painful feeling, it drives us to reach levels we would not have even attempted without it.

Having said this, one should not change one's character because they don't fit in or conform with society. By all means, have a shower and look after your cat and be nice to your little sister. But don't think that you're not good enough because you don't wear Christian Dior perfume or own DKNY jeans. Believe me, trying to fit in is more painful than being yourself. And being yourself is so much more fun!

Like always...

Love, Elise :)
xoxo

3 comments:

Unknown said...

pfssssshhhh you're blog is not inadequate, I wouldn't've subscribed and found this blog post if that were the case. Just because you're blog is different to most doesn't mean it's worse (basically as you said I believe (I'm too tired to check :( (lots of exams (have I used too many brackets now?))))(I hope I closed all the brackets)

Oh well, I may be insane.
Hope you're having fun and now there's no one interesting in #teenlug that really wants to put flop in the box :(

tdobson said...

hmmm.
I think theres a middle ground between 2 & 3.
I think that your "full potential" is when you are trying your best (duh!) - there is no one time when you are better than any other time.
In addition, it's worth pointing out that you can try your best and still accept that there's still someone who's going to beat you.

Wonderboy™ said...

Haha, your blog's not inadequate. The whole POINT of a blog is to write about your feelings and personal thoughts.
I might have to update mine, for that matter...