Monday, April 21, 2008

Slackness and Toves.

FIRSTLY:
I get my glasses tomorrow! WOOHOO!
I'll get the slightly less important things out of the way, next:
I finally posted my Oscillating Fan poem on DeviantArt. Hooray!
Some people are still nagging me *ahem* i mean...inquiring on some photos that I recently took. They will be uploaded. Eventually. Along with all the other work that I've been doing over the last, oh, two years... Be warned, you may be waiting until I have finished year 12 to see them! Who knew there was so much work in doing tertiary and secondary studies at the same time?!

Anyway. down to more important things. I am now going to attempt a blog on the subject of slackness, Horatio's Encyclopedia of Unknown Things-style. (don't bother Googling that encyclopedia, it's a part of a series of stories and nonsense writing pieces I'm working on...)

Anyway.

Slackness, v.
The act of sitting on one's posterior, watching cartoons when one has three hours of math homework to complete. Slackness can be terminated by the appearance of one's mother, bearing tidings of a week of no dessert if said homework is not completed. This negative termination has slightly inferior power to that of positive termination, also known as bribing.

Horatio looked up from his scrawlings in his recently formed encyclopedia. Something was prodding him in the side. That something was the big, bright, hairy thing known as a Tove. "Horry, I'm bored." The poking continued.
"Well poking me in the ribs is only going to make me grumpy."
"But Horry, you're always grumpy."
"I am not!" Horatio protested. It was moments like these that he wished there was some sort of mute button for that Tove. This was because Horatio knew that the Tove was 100% correct: he had been very grumpy of late. He mumbled some nasty things about teachers who gave no care for the sanity of their students, and piled the homework on like bricks.
Horatio had to do something other than write for his teachers, otherwise he was going to go crazy! He had had enough of the monotonous task of completing basic algebra problems, followed by analysing dull poetry by unimportant authors. Oh, to be allowed to read the work of Lewis Carroll in class! But no, his teachers would hear nothing of fun and nonsense in their classes. Horatio was snapped out of his musings by the Tove, who had started poking him in the ribs again.
"I'm hungry," it announced.
"You're always hungry." Suddenly, the boy was struck with an ingenious way for himself to 'de-boredify' himself, as the Tove so very eloquently put it. Yes, his plan was brilliant, mind-stretching and entertaining. And it was going to help him with his English homework, too.

------------------
OOOH! I just started a new story! It's going to be brilliant!

Just so you know, I am perfectly aware of the literal translation of Carroll's Jaberwocky, I merely wanted to have some fun with word meanings myself. I recently read a sci-fi story where omlettes were a mode of transportation, and not edible. Also, they could talk. So can't a Tove be a big, blue, hairy thing instead of a badger? I thought that it was perfectly reasonable, myself.

I shall refine the above story beginning, make a plot outline, finish it and DA it! Maybe. If you are reading this, you most likely know me and therefore are familiar with my track-record concerning such things.

Take care,
<3 Elise
xoxo

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Thanks for stopping by! When I'm bored sometimes I find myself doing the same thing! (Although sometimes clicking the "next blog" button can be dangerous!)